What is and how does Windows 10 DISM work to repair the system without reinstalling
Does your computer’s operating system have a problem? If the answer is yes, the DISM tool in Windows 10 allows you to repair it without the need to reinstall. We explain what it is and how it works.
Are you a Windows 10 user? So, surely your PC’s operating system has crashed more than once, experiencing startup problems, execution problems, or the dreaded blue screen of death.
In these cases, it is difficult to identify what is happening to the computer, so in the end we end up reinstalling Windows 10 to solve the problems. However, in some cases it is also possible to repair the system without having to reinstall with the Windows DISM tool.
DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management and, just like Explain Microsoft, it’s about a command line tool that can be used to repair Windows images, allowing you to troubleshoot a corrupted system image without having to completely reinstall the operating system.
The Windows DISM tool is intended for use by advanced users or administrators. Here we explain how to use it step by step to find and repair errors in your operating system:
- Type “cmd” (without quotes) in the search box, select the Command Prompt application, click the Run as administrator option and open the app.
- Now the first thing you have to do is check the health status of your equipment. To do this, enter the following code: DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth.
- Wait a few seconds for the check to complete. If any errors appear before completion, your PC may be damaged.
- Following, run the ScanHealth operation using this code: DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth. This will check for errors in the system. Wait until the operation is complete.
- The next step is to run the RestoreHealth operation, which will replace all the damaged components of the operating system and deploy a new image on your PC. This operation will take a long time, so be patient. You can start it with this code: DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth
- After using DISM, you have to use SFC (System File Checker) tool, which verifies the integrity of the files and fully restores the health of your PC based on the image implemented by DISM. To do this, enter the SFC / ScanNow code and wait until the process finishes (it will take a long time, so be patient).