Historian Goes Viral On TikTok For Her Hilarious “Tricks” To Become An Art Expert
Not everything on TikTok is stupid viral challenges, skills, or karaoke. This art historian has nearly 350,000 followers thanks to her fun and clever cultural commentary.
Do you want to become an art expert and impress your friends or your partner when you go to a museum? With the advice of historian Mary McGillivray, known as _theiconoclass On TikTok, you have it very easy.
In some of her videos, Mary McGillivray teaches us to distinguish the different artistic styles of paintings with a funny phrase … and she nails it too! An example, which you can see in the box the girls from the news opening photo: if there is someone in the painting looking at the camera as in the series The Office … it is a Velázquez.
But there are many more examples, which are as accurate as they are fun. Here’s one: If cute babies appear in the painting … it’s Baroque. If ugly babies come out … it’s Medieval:
It is surprising how with just two words it manages to define an artistic style, when a history book would take at least one chapter …
This repetition of the protagonists, but with completely opposite visions, also occurs in other artistic styles.
For example: If sad peasants appear in the painting, it is a 19th century Realist style. If happy peasants come out, it’s Dutch painting:
Other descriptions are much more subtle, even satirical: If the painting looks like an anguished male ego, it is German Romanticism. If we can see rich people having fun outdoors, it is Rococó:
There are several videos on his channel that follow this theme. Other descriptions we love:
- If the painting is like opening the drawer of the tuperes, it is cubist
- If everyone in the painting is inordinately muscular, including the women, it is a Michelangelo
- If when looking at the painting you have the feeling that you have to re-graduate your glasses, it is impressionistic
- If the woman is blonde and always has the same face, she is a Boticelli
- If it looks like an amateur theater performance, it is neo classical
- If the painting is unfinished, it is almost certainly a Leonardo
- If you see more meat than on a nude beach, it’s a Rubens
You can see some more in this video:
It takes a lot of searching, but as you can see, On TikTok you can also find channels that combine culture and fun.
[Fuente]: Bored Panda