YouTube Premium: is it worth paying?
Surely you’ve heard of YouTube Premium, a paid service from Google’s social network with which you’ll get advantages over the normal version. But is it really worth spending money to get this version of the streaming video service?
YouTube has always been free and for many years there was talk that it could become paid. The first thing that was seen towards that path was when advertising began to be implemented, something that little by little has taken over the social network.
Currently, we can find videos where ads are an important part of them, sometimes making the viewer go to another in order not to continue seeing as much advertising as they expose.
And it is that in part this saturation is due to an attempt by YouTube to make us succumb to the idea of hiring YouTube Premium and thus make the ads disappear, in addition to other advantages that we are going to show you right away.
The truth is that the paid versions that offer benefits with respect to the free one, is something that has been going on for quite some time and in all kinds of applications. But not only that, but surely you have some kind of video platform for which you are paying a monthly fee such as Netflix or HBO.
We give you these examples so that you can see that YouTube’s idea of charging for exclusive services should not be seen as something strange, since it is the order of the day. Another very different thing is that we consider that it offers enough to think about whether we become partners or not.
What is it and what does YouTube Premium offer?
How and we have been telling you YouTube Premium is a paid service and improved from the offer that this social video network normally has.
These benefits aim to improve the user experience in exchange for a monthly fee, although in this case the interface remains the same, but with several extra options that the free version does not have.
The benefits that YouTube Premium currently has are:
- Videos without ads: From the moment you become Premium you will not see any type of advertisement that the social network incorporates into its videos. Of course, you may still see branding or promotions that the creator has inserted into the content. Promotional links, shelves or features may also be displayed, but always inserted within the video by the person who created it.
- Download videos: you will be able to download the videos and playlists so that you can watch them whenever you do not have an Internet connection.
- background playback: Allows you to play videos on a mobile device with the screen turned off or while using other applications. This option is present on YouTube, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids.
- YouTube Music Premium and YouTube Originals: Another of the facets that is achieved is access to these two parts of the YouTube family, where we can enjoy the best music (in the style of Spotify) as well as exclusive and unpublished content produced for all those who have Originals.
- statistics: There are certain statistics that we will be able to see regarding not only YouTube, but also Music Premium, such as hours or minutes of playback, videos we have seen and other data that may be interesting.
- Offers: From time to time offers and promotions are offered that are exclusive to YouTube Premium members.
How much does YouTube Premium cost?
Now we know what are the advantages that YouTube has with respect to the non-paid version, but the real cost of this service remains to be known, since no matter how much it offers, everything will depend on how much you have to pay.
Currently YouTube Premium offers 1 month trial before the first payment for their services is made. The subscriptions are as follows:
- Regular plan: 11.99 euros per month.
- Family plan: 17.99 euros per month, being able to add up to 5 members of the same family unit who are over 13 years old.
- Student Plan: 6.99 euros per month, for students who meet a series of requirements, being their annual verification by an external service.
Is it worth hiring him?
The truth is that this is a question whose answer is really subjective, since it will depend a lot on the situation, taste and use that each one gives to YouTube.
From there, if we already have a contracted service like Spotify, then the paid version of YouTube loses steam, because we would speak of a duplicitysince Music Premium would no longer make much sense, and let’s not forget that it is a very important part of the payment offer of Google’s social network.
On the other hand, having YouTube Originals it wouldn’t be too heavy either if we are already partners of platforms such as Netflix, HBO or Amazon Prime Video
If we spend a lot of time on YouTube and we don’t have any paid music services, it could be a good idea become Premium, since you are going to have a great time and you will be able to enjoy all the content without advertising.
In this particular case, it can be a good thing to pay, even if you have other streaming services, since the advantage of YouTube Music is going to be quite substantial.
Another situation in which it is very convenient to pay is if we are a few relatives and we want to share all these services, since the price divided by five people works out really well, for some extremely interesting extras.
In the case of that you are a student the result is the same, you save a lot of money and you have many extras, so being able to enjoy them only depends on becoming a member.
The conclusion is clear, YouTube Premium for a single person who does not have any other service of this type can be interesting, although it is a bit expensive. If you are already a member of a similar platform, it does not seem so viable anymore.
But in the case of being a family or a student, things change, because the cost per person is greatly reduced, so it clearly compensates for all the extras it offers.